Bigscale Guru
Land: Nederland
Provincie: Limburg
Zenderset: Futaba 3PKS
Frequentie: Spektrum Pro 2.4GHz

The biggest R/C buggy in existence?

Berichtdoor Roel » zo feb 17, 2008 6:22 pm

The biggest R/C buggy in existence?

This is the large scale radio controlled buggy that I built several years ago. It's 61 inches long and 32 inches wide. It weighs 120 pounds. The drive portion is built more like a go-kart than a R/C car. I try to run it at least a few times a year, and I have been continually making improvements and upgrades as needed.

Afbeelding

Afbeelding
The engine is a 120cc two stroke from a Lawn-Boy push mower. It's mounted so that the crankshaft is horizontal, and the output shaft has been modified to accept the centrifugal clutch where the mower blade was. The transmission is a Comet TAV 30 continuously variable belt drive transmission that automatically varies from 2.68:1 ratio to .90:1. This allows the car to have excellent power for tire spinning acceleration from a standing start, and still be able to reach high speeds without shifting gears. The chain ratio is 4:1. The original Walbro carburetor was replaced with a Tillotson HL series diaphragm carburetor that provides much better performance and adjustability. The stock muffler was replaced with a RLV G2 tuned pipe from a Yamaha racing kart.
Afbeelding
Comet TAV-30 below.
Afbeelding
Final drive chain.
Afbeelding
The frame is made from lightweight 3/4" steel tubing. The engine and CVT are mounted on a separate cradle that bolts to the frame with rubber mounts and is easily removable for servicing.
Afbeelding
The front suspension is independent unequal length tubular control arms using spherical rod ends at all pivot points, and is fully adjustable for caster, camber, and toe. The upper control arms are made from 1/2" x .049" wall seamless steel tubing and 1/4" rod ends and the lowers are 5/8" x .049" tubing with 5/16" rod ends.
Afbeelding
The rear suspension is a swing-arm type constructed of 5/8" tubing and 3/8" rod ends. The rear differential and axles are from a small riding lawnmower. A seven inch stainless steel vented disc brake is mounted on the drive sproket.
Afbeelding
There are no commercially available hobby servos that are powerful and rugged enough to steer a car this big. I tried a pair of the biggest giant scale servos I could find, and they couldn't even begin to steer the wheels. I came to the conclusion that I would need to build my own servos. The steering and the brake are both actuated by 12 volt gear motors. I've created a separate page on building high power servos.
Afbeelding
The throttle uses a standard hobby servo mounted on the carburetor.
Afbeelding
There is a 12 volt, 9 AH sealed lead/acid battery to power the steering and brake motors, and a 5 volt regulator to power the receiver and control circuits using the same battery. All of this is remotely controlled by a standard Futaba 3 channel FM radio control system.
The front end rides on 12.5x2.25 tires on 8 inch rims, and the rear is on 15x6.00 Goodyear Terra Tires on 6 inch rims. Alternating tread blocks were removed from the rear tires to provide ultimate traction.

If you have built a large scale R/C car of your own please let me know, I'd love to hear about it.
bron: www.fieroaddiction.com
Velle est posse

Bernie
Bigscale Guru
Bigscale Guru
Land: Ollanda
Provincie: Noord-Brabant
Merk: Multiplex
Type: FPV EZ*
Zenderset: Futuba FF-9
Frequentie: Mag ik zelf kiezen;)
Club: Wildvlieger
Contacteer:

Re: The biggest R/C buggy in existence?

Berichtdoor Bernie » zo feb 17, 2008 7:49 pm

Das een flinke :D .
Ik zie, ik zie, wat jij niet ziet :mrgreen: .
Vliegfilmpjes

marc
Niet weg te slaan
Niet weg te slaan
Contacteer:

Berichtdoor marc » ma feb 18, 2008 7:03 am

WAUW RESPECT :shock: :shock: :shock:

dat is nog eens hobby

grtzzz
twinstar 2

Bernie
Bigscale Guru
Bigscale Guru
Land: Ollanda
Provincie: Noord-Brabant
Merk: Multiplex
Type: FPV EZ*
Zenderset: Futuba FF-9
Frequentie: Mag ik zelf kiezen;)
Club: Wildvlieger
Contacteer:

Berichtdoor Bernie » ma feb 18, 2008 5:40 pm

marc schreef:WAUW RESPECT :shock: :shock: :shock:

dat is nog eens hobby

grtzzz
Facelift gehad Marc?
Is een beetje uit de hand gelopen denk ik #-o .
Ik zie, ik zie, wat jij niet ziet :mrgreen: .
Vliegfilmpjes

marc
Niet weg te slaan
Niet weg te slaan
Contacteer:

Berichtdoor marc » ma feb 18, 2008 6:06 pm

Facelift gehad Marc?
och ja is weer eens wat anders toch, ik vind hem wel grappig.

grtzzzz
twinstar 2

Terug naar “Bigscale (overige merken)”